Today I turned 24. I have a lot to learn, but, then again, doesn’t everybody?
24 facts about me at age 24:
1. When I was little, I had an imaginary friend name Julie…which is also my great-grandmother’s name. I used to pretend Julie was sitting in all the empty desks at school.
2. My preschool teacher still sends our family Christmas cards, which is probably the cutest thing ever. It always makes me smile.
3. I took dance classes for 12 years, but I still can’t dance.
4. My first pet was a goldfish named Goldie. She was a favor at my cousins birthday party…she died three days later.
5. I wrote a children’s book in fourth grade and I was convinced I was going to become rich and famous because of it.
6. I played soccer and basketball growing up, and was on my HS volleyball team. I even ran cross country one year in middle school. I’m now the opposite of an athlete.
7. On the last day of gym class in high school I declared I would never do another push up. It’s been almost 6 years and I’m proud to be push up free.
8. I met quite a few soap stars in my teens.
9. I started watching soap operas when I was 12, and my friends would make fun of me for it. They were jealous.
10. I actually used to want to be a writer for “All My Children.” When the short-lived online revival happened this past year, this dream came back… Until AMC got canceled, again.
11. I volunteered with a walk for Pregnancy and Infant Loss awareness from ages 14-16. The first website I ever made was a Geocities page for the walk.
12. I once bought a guitar with Christmas money because I wanted to be like Melissa Etheridge. It was the gay thing to do. I still don’t know how to play it.
13. I was accidentally placed in an Intro to Creative Writing class my first semester of college. Before that I thought creative writing and poetry was a load of crap.
14. I know how to thread wrap hair.
15. I’ve always loved obnoxiously bright colored things. My grandma once bought me a metallic blue pleather jacket when I was a kid and it was the best thing ever.
16. I love to sew, but by hand. Sewing machines terrify me.
17. I’ve been trying to learn how to knit for 2 years.
18. I took French for 8 years, and I miss it terribly.
19. If I could take a year off from teaching to be a full time writer, with my teaching job guaranteed back to me at the end of the year, I’d sign up in a heartbeat!
20. It secretly makes me sad that I’ve written to Ellen DeGeneres every year for our birthday for the past 6 years and she still hasn’t replied.
21. I hate stewed tomatoes with a passion.
22. I’m really outgoing on my blog and in social media, but I’m extremely socially awkward in person.
23. I’m excited to plan my wedding to V, especially since it’s going to have a Roaring 20s theme.
24. 23 was the year I was most terrified of, and it turned out to be the best year of my life. 24 has a lot to live up to.